Mayweather seems like of a class where he himself only belongs. I just could not get it out of thought, how much of an advantage 'Money' had in the ring.
Money-Speed. The guys throws lightning quickness. “I hit him whenever I want to.” Mayweather said after the win in 2007 versus Oscar De La Hoya and as I watched the fight with Marquez, the short sentence circled my mind over and over. His counter ability is like a crack of a whip. The punch is without warning and accurate, with no difficulty winning over the opponents accuracy and output. Defense- like no other. He works the Philly block like no else does. Tucks the chin deep in the shoulder, and bobs, punches just glide past him. Its so good that you really don't ever see him getting hit. It's stunning. Stamina- theres nothing to say, Boxing technique, whatever.
But but but. Even, aside with all this I've mention, the fight that just finished taking place, was suppose the be in the competing fashion. There were rules that had to be followed. There were views and opinions that put the bout in a playing field that seem balanced. There was a chance for both. But Friday, the weight in came, and all the shit came down. A coating of nervousness and doubt came about. It was like 'wtf?'. Five months for this?
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (40-0, 25 KO's) He broke the agreement, helping to secure an easy night at a price $600,000. Mayweather was penned at 144 lbs., but could not make weight and came in at 146 lbs. I mean, that weight difference, was the biggest advantage Marquez had to win. He expected Mayweather to drop weight for better chances of combat. But he did not. All he did was one pound. One pound away from the Welterweight limit of 147.
I feel like he disrespected the law of deal. No meaning of compromise at all. It was the main rule of the contest, and he walked all over it. And it didn't matter to anyone of the 'Money' Team, But it was more than bad-mannered to Nacho Beristain, trainer and manager of who was ranked #2 in the Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound list, Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KO's).
Marquez earned the spot light. He put the effort in. He push far. He's considered as one of the best craftsmen in the sport. The counter ability is there. Its proficient. The combinations come from confusing angles, when interpreted his opponent would be on canvas. He got so much heart and feeling into his boxing, making his opponents heartbroken that they do not hold the same. He works hard, which is the most appreciative thing he give to boxing fans. He satisfies. The working class fighter. The solution of the mainstream-dead sport. He's followed by his countrymen, a following that echoes loud. How can you not be a fan?
For Marquez, for this fight, he made the effort, he put that work in, to make weight of 142 lbs. coming from the Lightweight division, the of limit of 135. Eating raw eggs, running up mountains, trowing boulders and 'killing mountain lions with bare hands' type of shit. He was garrrrrr.... All heart. El que no arriesga no gana mindset. Rambo 1 fortitude. The way he was..., beat anyone at 140, Anyone. (Watch the link versus Juan Diaz, in the previous blog in the Malignaggi Vs Diaz section.)
And, after reading my previous blogs, you can make the assumption of that I'm for the Undisputed Lightweight Champion Marquez. After months of expectations, watching old videos, engaging in boxing conversations, reviewing articles, I was drawn into this unbiased perception. You can have a favorite, but in this one I just couldn't pick one. Mayweather and Marquez were great in their respected fields. And I couldn't decide.
Of course the underdog, is always the most interesting way to go.. and Marquez, in this one, he was it. And it's just crazy how much of an advantage Mayweather had. It bothers me.
I didn't like the the fact that he came in over the weight. I didn't like how others counted out Marquez. The way it happen, I couldn't get over how it was all sour for Mexican warrior. He can kick ass, but Money was way to damn much. Damn.
No comments:
Post a Comment